Radon Testing Methods
There is a great deal of testing opportunities available for assessing the level of radon gas in a residence. Each method comes with its own pros and cons, associated costs, and more. Instead of describing them in full, we have compiled a chart that organizes all of this data for you. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to reach out.
Link to this resource by adding the following code to your website.
<a href="https://radonresources.com/resources/radon-testing-methods/">Radon Testing Methods</a>
Compare Radon Testing Methods
|Test Type||Long/Short Term||Time Required||Est. Cost||Accuracy|
|Integrated testing devices||Short term||1-7 days||$15-$40||Average|
|Continuous Radon Monitors||Short term||1-30 days||$75-$200||Excellent|
|Digital Meter or Detector||Long or short term||N/A||$100+||Excellent|
|Testing kits||Long term||90+ days||$15-$30||Average|
To purchase a test kit – use our radon test comparison tool to find the best test for your home or office.
It is critical that you follow all of the guidelines listed below during testing in order to provide reliable results:
Radon Testing Guidelines
- You should always follow “closed-home” conditions when trying to collect an accurate reading which involves:
- Keeping all exterior windows and doors shut, including the main entrance and exits when possible
- Ceiling fans should remain off, in other words air circulation should remain minimal
- No fresh air should be added to the environment which means the “fresh air” setting on affected air-cooling units should not be used
- Air-conditioning systems should only be used to recycle indoor air
- The radon test should always be placed in the lowest occupied space. That is, it should always be in a room that is frequently occupied yet located at one of the lower levels of the home.
- The test device or kit should always remain:
- 3 feet from exterior windows or doors
- 20 inches above the floor
- 4 inches from any nearby objects
- 12 inches from the ceiling for hang-type devices
- In a place where it will not be disturbed
- Out of direct sunlight
- Away from hot or warm surfaces
- Away from drafts or locations with excess humidity