Hi, my name is Chris and I founded RadonResources.com after a Radon test revealed my family and I were living in very high levels of radon. At the time, I really had no idea of the dangers of radon exposure, but the contractor who installed our mitigation system said it was highest concentration he had seen in a home. This obviously scared me into doing a lot of research and I quickly found out this was a serious matter. As a parent, I'm always on the look out for hidden dangers that could affect my children. This one threw a big red flag and I soon realized the only time someone talks about radon is when they are building, buying or selling a home. If it isn't addressed at that point, they could be living in a dangerous situation and not realize it.
I’m not alone in my desire to raise radon awareness – the EPA launched a Federal Radon Action Plan in June of 2011 and followed it up with an accomplishment report to document their achievements in 2013. Kudos for them as they are educating local officials to set standards for radon testing at schools, daycare facilities and the workplace. If radon testing isn't being done at home, it certainly wasn't being done at the workplace.
We built our house in 2005 and had the option to install a radon mitigation system to prevent the possibility of exposure to high levels of radon. Knowing nothing about radon other than the price tag, and having no children at the time, we decided against it. A few years later, the house next door to us sold and the new owners had a radon mitigation system installed. Apparently, the levels in the home were high enough to justify it. We decided to test for radon since we now had children. To my surprise, our house tested at 17 (pCi/L)! If you haven't spent much time on my site yet, you'll soon find out this is extremely high. In fact, the EPA suggests you have your radon levels reduced to a safe level by a licensed radon contractor if your home tests above 4 (pCi/L).
To make matters worse, I had a home office in the basement(closest to the source) for two years prior to testing. I didn't quite understand the risks at the time, but the contractor who installed our mitigation system let me know radon was the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers. If I had been a smoker, my risks for developing lung cancer in that environment would have been further elevated. Fortunately, I am a non-smoker and have shown no ill effects to this point. We had a radon mitigation system installed that vented the gas safely from our house. Subsequent tests have shown that levels were reduced well below the safe zone and I felt safe living in the home for many more years.
I continued to hear more about radon and how many people have no knowledge of a toxic gas that could be in their home, office or child's school. Having two young children, I was also very concerned about the effects of radon on their young bodies, so I set off to create this site.
I hope you find all the information you need to learn about radon and how to prevent it from becoming a problem for you and your family. If you have any questions, comments, concerns or considerations, please contact me here.